COVID-19 has changed so much of how things function in the world, and while we are beginning to see some semblance of normalcy return, a few changes are here to stay. One of those changes is the way, and frequency, we clean. Before the pandemic, cleaning surfaces at work and home was routine practice. Disinfecting surfaces, however, was not as common.
Now that we know more about how viruses and bacteria live on hard and soft surfaces, it’s important to know the best ways to clean and disinfect them. The more we can do daily to keep the places where we live and work safe, the better chance we have of making it through this pandemic safely and help it come to an end.
Before we get into the best way to clean and disinfect, it can help to know which surfaces are the highest touch areas at your home or workplace. These are items that we use every day, and often forget to clean. High-touch surfaces should be cleaned and disinfected frequently, two times per day is recommended.
- Tables and chairs
- Light Switches
Your place of work might have other, more specific high-touch surfaces, so it’s a good idea to think through what those might be.
Now that you know the high-touch surfaces to clean daily it’s time to focus on exactly how to clean them. Cleaning and disinfecting are very different, but both serve a valuable purpose. You can learn more about all of the differences in a recent Pristex blog post, but here is a brief overview:
When you clean a surface you physically remove any particles of dirt, dust, or crumbs. Cleaning can be done with water, soap, or sprays. It is an easy way to visually keep a surface free of harmful particles, but it doesn’t necessarily kill viruses or bacteria.
The most reliable way to lower the spread of germs is through disinfecting. It is the process of using concentrated chemicals to kill viruses and bacteria on surfaces, objects, and even laundry. Disinfecting completely kills COVID-19 and has become the staple way to keep hospitals and homes safe during the pandemic.
How To Effectively Clean and Disinfect Surfaces
- Clean: Clean surfaces to remove large particles and any liquids. Keeping surfaces free of dirt and dust is the first step to keeping on top of germs.
- Disinfect: Wipe down all surfaces with a disinfectant wipe to kill any germs present. It’s important to use disinfectant wipes the right way:
- Wipe in a downward motion.
- Use multiple wipes over a surface to guarantee the best disinfecting power.
- Let the solution sit for more than one minute to air dry.
- Dispose of the wipe in a trash can (do not flush!)
- Wash your hands.
- Repeat: It’s important to repeat the process throughout the day. The CDC recommends cleaning and disinfecting home surfaces two times per day and for places like schools or hospitals every two hours.
Disinfectant wipes are the best and easiest way to keep surfaces free of harmful viruses and bacteria. The convenience and accessibility of wipes far outweigh traditional disinfectant sprays. Pristex offers multiple kinds of disinfectant wipes to meet all of your needs. Interested in learning more about Pristex and our products? Reach out to our team today! We are excited to talk to you about our products because we believe that everyone should have access to the best cleaning solutions available.